Frequently asked questions
We have provided some frequently asked questions regarding cask purchasing and bottling as follows:
1. What do I get for my money if I buy and bottle immediately? When you purchase any of our casks for immediate bottling you are paying for the spirit in the cask. The actual empty cask is always retained by quartercasks.com as it will be re-used for further maturation purposes. You are purchasing, distilled and matured in Scotland, single malt or single grain whisky stored under British Customs and Excise Bonded control. Your whisky will not attract excise duty until it is removed from bond.
2. What is excise duty? This is an amount levied by the UK Government and in fact all governments of the world as a tax on alcohol.
3. When if at all would I have to pay this duty? The tax is paid on removal from bond after bottling. If you decide to ship the bottles overseas, under a bonded shipment, the UK duty does not need to be paid, however, you have to pay your country’s duties and taxes on arrival. Please note that the USA has specific circumstances that can lead to additional charges being made due to the three tier system of import. We can supply further details of this upon request.
4. The duty and tax issue seems to be very complicated, how do I go about this part? It is not so much complicated, more time consuming, and is better left to professionals who specialize on import. Quartercasks.com has representation in a number of countries and can assist with bottle importation if you require. There will be costs associated with importation and these are passed on to you, they vary depending on your country of residence. Prices for import to USA on request. Note that these charges are exclusive of import taxes.
5. Any other specific issues? We don’t supply to any countries or states that ban alcohol!
6. What about the label, can I get my own label designed and applied: Normally all bottles are prepared with the quartercasks.com standard label clearly stating the whisky type, age, date of bottling, bottle volume and strength. However, you can have your own label designed at a cost of £100 per design (allows two proofs for your approval, further proofs are charged at £25 per proof). For own label an additional printing cost of £1 per label is added due to the low volume print run. Quartercasks.com will soon have a facility for you to design your own label online to set templates, this will allow a less expensive form of own label design. (Watch this space!)
7. Can I get bottles dispatched individually to my friends or business contacts? Yes we can provide this service. Costs depending on current courier charges and destination of goods.
8. Delivery and Shipping: Quartercasks.com can deliver or ship your finished cases to anywhere in the world where alcohol is allowed, through its network of distributors. There will be a charge for this at cost + 5% handling. Prices on application. (Please note: we do not ship any casks out of Scotland).
9. Duties and local taxes: All taxes of any kind are to be borne by you the owner of the bottled whisky. Quartercasks.com will deliver only via its local distributors in whichever country the goods are destined. Prior to uplift you will have to pay import taxes and any other local taxes to our nominated local distributor. A further payment of 17.5% VAT is added to the charge.
10. Bond transfer: Your finished cases can be delivered bond to bond duty free. However this can only be done on clearance by UK HM Customs and to a recognized bond, you will require a WOWGR form before we can deliver. There is a charge for bond to bond delivery to cover Customs paperwork.
For bond transfer to other countries out with the UK the same regulations apply.
11. The Cooperage: All of the casks used by Quartercasks.com have been manufactured from the finest oak grown either in the United States, Spain and even Scotland. The skill of the Cooper is evident in the final whisky: well balanced, fresh and with abundant taste.
Quartercasks.com only use time served coopers with a lifetime of experience. You will be amazed by the quality of workmanship should you visit our facilities in Scotland.